A historic site with global interest.
Antiparos is familiar from the antiquity with the Phoenician name Oliaros (Woody). Phoenix’s were also the first residents of Antiparos at the historical years. With the name Oliaros was mentioned by Heracleidis, geographer of the 3rd e.g. Century, and later by Stravon. In the Byzantine years the information about Antiparos is minimal, we know however that in all this period and up to the Greek resolution of 1821 Antiparos suffers from the raids of pirates which they caused big fluctuations of population that reached often also in the desolation of island.
In 1207 Antiparos becomes member of Duchy of Naxos under Mark Sanoydo. In 1440 the sovereign of Paros-Andros Croyssinos Sommaripas gives Antiparos as dowry to his daughter Francesca that is wedded Leonardo Lorentano. In 1537 Antiparos falls in the hands of Ottomans with the rest of Cyclades when they are conquered by the horrible pirate Barbarossa. Antiparos will remain under the Turkish thrall until 1770, when it is occupied by the Russian fleet of brothers Orlof. Afterwards 1774 it devolves once again to the Turkish sovereignty. In the revolution of 1821 it is from the first islands that take part in the fight of regeneration and becomes department of Greek state with the Protocols of London in 1830 and in 1832.